Join BikePGH to celebrate the release of the 6th Version of the Pittsburgh Bike Map at Highmark Stadium!
The 6th Version of the Pittsburgh Bike Map marks another important milestone in our city’s ever-intriguing bike history. So it makes perfect sense that we’ll be celebrating this momentous occasion on the eve of Bike To Work Day: a day that will kick off another bike season for the history books. Come stop by to grab your copy of the map, network with the best, and get in the Bike-to-Work-Day spirit.
Highmark Stadium and the Pittsburgh Riverhounds are special BikePGH Business Partners in 2016. They are supporting Bike To Work Day by providing two sets of season passes as “Golden Ticket” prizes for our Bike to Work Day Membership Promotion, and they’re launching their “Bike Night” series where bike riders will receive -$3 off ticket prices. How’s that for bike friendly business?
Now about that bike map:
The story goes like this: 1990 Pittsburgh was rated one of the WORST CITIES IN AMERICA for bicycling. As a result, then Mayor Sofie Masloff commissioned the city’s first bike map. No one took ownership of the bike map until 2007 when BikePGH came on the scene. Now, 26 years after the first printing, Pittsburgh is now rated ONE OF THE BEST cities for biking in America and we’re releasing VERSION 6 of the Pittsburgh Bike Map.
New to Version Six of the Pittsburgh Bike Map:
- New protected bike lanes! This will be the first time we’ve had to represent bike lanes that are physically separated from car traffic.
- Comes with new colors! for “Protected Bike Lanes”, “Recommended Routes”, “Cautionary Routes” and “Trails”.
- All 50, count them 50, Healthy Ride bike share stations will be on Version 6!
- Along with a new “How-to-Bikeshare” section designed by our BFFs over at Pittsburgh Bike Share.
- New ENLARGED, zoomed in, super high-definition, section of downtown that shows biking options in the Golden Triangle in even more detail.
- Opportunity to order flat (unfolded) maps. Since 2007 it has been a common sight to walk into a friend’s house or office and see two Pittsburgh Bike Maps hung side by side. They make great wall art! We’re making it easier to display them with biker pride. Keep an eye on our online store.
- We’re upping distribution numbers for Version 6. Previously we’ve distributed ~25,000 maps/year. We’re shooting to get out ~33,000 maps/year of Version 6. Be on the lookout for fancy new distro stands at your local library, bike shop, or Visit Pittsburgh kiosk.
- Finally, we couldn’t have made it this far without some new (and old) sponsors. Big thanks to EQT, DeepLocal, City of Pittsburgh, and Healthy Ride for bringing us to this point.
Now that’s cause for celebration. See you on the 19th.